Join Me for “Professional Growth in Cybersecurity–From a Woman’s Lens” @RSAC
Women in today’s cybersecurity industry are breaking cultural and gender gaps in this male-dominated field. If you’re a woman in this industry, you are likely keenly aware of the challenges we face, which have also been well reported in the media. So what do we need to do to thrive in this environment?
I have the honor of facilitating sessions at RSA Conference on helping women explore ways to grow their careers in cybersecurity. The focus will be on how to navigate typical challenges and find solutions. Every participant will come away with a list of resources, connections, and next steps to build their careers.
Women Are Moving Toward Higher-Level Roles
From the pre-session survey sent to session registrants, I’m seeing some themes emerging:
- Over 40% of the respondents are targeting executive-level positions and 50% are targeting director-level roles in the next two years.
- Most need support entering executive roles.
This impresses me because a few years ago, attendance at this type of session mostly included women much earlier in their careers. I take this as a sign that we’re making progress, and need to work together to find ways to get more women to the executive level.
Desired Outcomes for the Session “Professional Growth in Cybersecurity”
In looking at outcomes women would like from this session, I chuckled when I read the comment, “I do not want to learn about career-life balance issues.” I agree! This has been a much-discussed issue, so I want to focus our session time on exploring how we can grow our careers.
While participants will be able to form their own working groups and choose topics, here are some initial suggestions people would like to address in the session:
- Networking resources that result in my next career move
- Networking resources that result in my career skills development
- Mentoring resources to reach executive and managerial careers
- How we can support each other in developing our careers in cybersecurity
- How to transition to a CISO role
- Tips on how increase my impact on the job
- Tips on how to remain confident in my skills and knowledge
If you’re attending RSA Conference with a full conference pass, you can reserve a seat for “Professional Growth in Cybersecurity—From a Woman’s Lens” here:
Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 2:15 PM–3:00 PM at the Marriott Golden Gate C2, San Francisco. Reserve a seat.
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 1:45 PM–2:30 PM at the Marriott Golden Gate C1, San Francisco. Reserve a seat.
Stay tuned…After the event I’ll post a summary of lessons learned from both sessions…so we can all learn and benefit.